Eldred, Pennsylvania is a small city located in McKean County. It has a population of just over 3,000 people and is situated in the Allegheny Mountains. The climate in Eldred is moderate, with temperatures ranging from mild to warm in the summer and cold to frigid in the winter.
The city of Eldred was founded in 1828 by settlers from New England. It has a rich history, and many of its original buildings have been preserved as historical landmarks. Politically, Eldred is a conservative town; most of its residents are registered Republicans.
The economy of Eldred is mainly driven by the lumber industry, with several sawmills located around the city. There are also several small businesses that provide goods and services to the local community.
Eldred is served by two public schools: Eldred Elementary School and Eldred High School. Both schools offer a wide range of educational opportunities for students, including extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs.
Eldred also has several notable landmarks, including the historic Old Stone Church, which was built in 1845; the Eldred World War II Memorial, which honors veterans of the war; and the Allegheny National Forest, which is a popular destination for hikers and campers.
Overall, Eldred is a small but vibrant city that has a lot to offer its residents. With its rich history, beautiful landscape, and friendly people, it is an ideal place to live and work.
Population: 858. Estimated population in July 2020: 824 (-4.0% change)
Males: 402 (46.9%), Females: 456 (53.1%)
Zip code: 16731
Median resident age: 35.8 years
Median household income: $27,569
Median house value: $50,800
Races in Eldred:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.4%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (22.7%), Irish (14.8%), English (9.9%), Italian (9.6%), United States (6.9%), Swedish (5.7%).
Elevation: 1500 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
Eldred, Pennsylvania is a small town located in the northwest corner of the state. It has a population of just over 2,000 people and is situated in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. The town has a rural feel to it with rolling hills and plenty of farmland. The cost of living in Eldred is significantly lower than most cities due to its small population size and lack of large businesses. Housing costs are quite affordable with an average single-family home costing around $150,000. Renters can find apartments for under $700 per month. Groceries are also fairly inexpensive with most items costing about 10% less than national averages. Utilities such as electricity and water are also much cheaper than larger cities due to Eldred’s small size and lack of demand for services from large corporations. Additionally, there is no sales tax in Eldred which makes it even more attractive for those looking to save money on their everyday purchases. Overall, Eldred provides an excellent quality of life at an affordable cost that many other towns cannot match.
For population 25 years and over in Eldred
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eldred borough
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 52.3%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 11.7%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -32 (-3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Eldred:
- OLEAN GENERAL HOSPITAL WEST (about 9 miles; OLEAN, NY)
- BRADFORD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; BRADFORD, PA)
- CUBA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 19 miles; CUBA, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eldred:
- BRADFORD REGIONAL (about 21 miles; BRADFORD, PA; Abbreviation: BFD)
- CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY/JAMESTOWN (about 62 miles; JAMESTOWN, NY; Abbreviation: JHW)
- DU BOIS-JEFFERSON COUNTY (about 65 miles; DU BOIS, PA; Abbreviation: DUJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eldred:
- GIERMEK EXECUTIVE (about 8 miles; OLEAN, NY; Abbreviation: 8G3)
- CATTARAUGUS COUNTY-OLEAN (about 20 miles; OLEAN, NY; Abbreviation: OLE)
- GREAT VALLEY (about 25 miles; GREAT VALLEY, NY; Abbreviation: N56)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Pennsylvania graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eldred:
- SAINT BONAVENTURE UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; ST BONAVENTURE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,538)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT ALFRED (about 46 miles; ALFRED, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,588)
- JAMESTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; JAMESTOWN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- ERIE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 61 miles; ORCHARD PARK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,389)
- SUNY AT BUFFALO (about 66 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 21,661)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT GENESEO (about 72 miles; GENESEO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,246)
- GENESEE VALLEY BOCES (about 73 miles; BATAVIA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,249)
Public primary/middle school in Eldred:
- OTTO-ELDRED EL SCH (Students: 413; Grades: KG – 06)